Ill-Fated Juan Martin Del Potro Ruled Out of Australian Open 2015

by Vishal Gajaria | Posted on Sunday, January 18th, 2015 | 0

Ill-Fated Juan Martin Del Potro Ruled Out of Australian Open 2015. Yes, you read that right.

Injuries have been a part of Juan Martin del Potro’s life. He missed most of the season last year with a chronic wrist injury, made a much-awaited return as the defending champion in Sydney last week, was shown the door in the quarterfinals; moved on to Melbourne for the season’s first Grand Slam, and guess what, he announces his withdrawal again!

“I didn’t feel prepared for playing in this big event,” a dejected Del Potro said stuttering throughout his press conference. “My first Grand Slam after one year, five-set matches, is very tough. It could be dangerous for my wrist and also my physique. And I think it was a tough decision, but could be a smart decision if I want to stay healthy and play for the whole year.”

The lanky Argentine, who gainsaid his critics by winning the prestigious U.S. Open title in 2009, further said that he concreted his decision after noticing severe pain in his wrist in the last couple of days, and that he looks forward to playing competitive tennis again in the near future.

The main draw of the Australian Open 2015 kicks-off from Monday.



About the Author

Mass Media student from the University of Mumbai. Also, a huge Cricket enthusiast and a Tennis fanatic, with a smattering of other sports.

Pin It
TSM Plug