Rafael Nadal takes subtle dig at Roger Federer over skipping clay season

by Ajit Singh Khanna | Posted on Monday, April 16th, 2018 | 0

Unlike the other sports, tennis’ traditional rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are known to share a great bond. They often speak highly of each other, keeping trash talks at bay.

This wasn’t the case on Sunday as Nadal appeared to have taken a subtle dig at Federer over the Swiss star scheduling.

Federer said that he will not play on clay this year – just like he did in 2017 – after suffering a shock defeat at the hands of Thanasi Kokkinakis in his Miami Open opener last month.

This doesn’t seem to have gone down well with Nadal, who hoped Federer would, at least, participate at the Roland Garros, the second Grand Slam of the season.

“He says he will love to play against me again in best-of-five sets on clay,” the Spaniard was quoted as saying by The Telegraph.

“He said that a couple of days ago – and I thought he would play Roland Garros. Then a few days later he says he will not play in one event, so there’s a little bit of controversy with that.”

Meanwhile, Nadal is currently in Monaco for the Monte Carlo Masters. The No. 1 seed, who has a bye in the first round, will meet either Aljaz Bedene or Mirza Basic in the second round.

 

 

 

About the Author



Pin It
TSM Plug