AP Reports Ray Rice Video Was Received By NFL Security Chief Jeffrey Miller In April

by Michael Drahota | Posted on Friday, September 26th, 2014 | 0


The Ray Rice domestic violence scandal has taken yet another twist. It was recently reported that the NFL had allegedly viewed a video depicting Rice knocking out his wife (then-girlfriend) Janay with a punch inside an elevator at Atlantic City, New Jersey-based casino Revel.

The video was released to the public on September 8 by media outlet TMZ, inciting an absolute windfall that has put the NFL in an extremely bad light for instances of violence by players. News soon broke that a law enforcement official had sent the video to the NFL prior to the league handing own a mere two-game suspension to Rice earlier this year.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell promptly denied that they had any prior knowledge of the tape that was inside the elevator, alleging only to have viewed the sickening footage of Rice dragging his unconscious fiancée out of the elevator.

The league was under immediate and intense scrutiny, immediately enlisting former FBI Director Robert Mueller to investigate the NFL’s actions throughout the whole fiasco. They also made a separate domestic violence policy and specialists in the field in an effort to clear their sullied name.

Regardless of their efforts, that scrutiny may be about to get much worse.

The same law enforcement official told the Associated Press that the NFL did in fact receive the video in April, and it was received by league security chief Jeffrey Miller. The source previously did not want to make the identity of the recipient known at first but they have now. The official elaborated on the situation:

“Since the NFLPA and NFL have launched separate investigations into the league and the Ravens’ handling of Ray Rice’s case, I want to make a few things clear. No one from the NFL ever asked me for the inside-elevator video.

I mailed it anonymously to Jeff Miller because he’s their head of security. I attached a note saying: ‘Ray Rice elevator video. You have to see it. It’s terrible.’ I provided a number for a disposable cellphone and asked for confirmation that it was received. I knew there was a possibility Mr. Miller may not get the video, but I hoped it would land in the right hands.”

Miller quickly retaliated to the accusations, stating that he had definitely not viewed the tape before it was widely released in September:

“I unequivocally deny that I received at any time a copy of the video, and I had not watched it until it was made public on September 8.”

For his part, the official said that he never intended to bring down Goodell or anyone else:

“My intention wasn’t to bring down Commissioner Goodell or anyone else at the NFL.”

It may not have been his intention, but it may still be the end result. The finding makes the NFL look extremely bad during a time in which they can ill afford to look any worse.

The league has vehemently denied that they had any prior knowledge of the tape, even in the face of mounting evidence that they had. Goodell already admitted that the league did not handle the situation well, but now they are only appearing corrupt.

When will the league stop trying to cover their own tracks? Will it take the findings of the investigation for them to admit they had seen the tape, or did they only find out on September 8 like the rest of us?

About the Author

Both an avid NFL fan and analyst, I’ve been following professional football since the late 1980s. I’m also an avid fantasy football player with several league victories under my belt. Check out my NFL articles on TSM for the latest NFL news, highlights, predictions, and more.

Pin It
TSM Plug