Oscar de La Hoya hints Canelo could move to super middleweight; names three possible opponents

by Ajit Singh Khanna | Posted on Tuesday, June 5th, 2018 | 0

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez will fight in September even if a rematch with Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin doesn’t materialize, the former’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya has said.

Canelo and GGG played out a controversial draw in September last year, and have been in talks of a rematch ever since.

However, with Canelo testing positive for a banned substance, followed by disagreements over purses have meant fans have been made to wait for a date.

De La Hoya though has said that he has three names in mind for Canelo’s September comeback.

“We will fight in September. Canelo is fighting in September,” the former American pugilist was quoted as saying by boxingnews24.

“You have Danny Jacobs and [Billy Joe] Saunders. Those are the top two guys. You’ve got [Gary] O’Sullivan. You’ve got other guys as well.”

De La Hoya added that the 5’9” Canelo is also pondering a move to super middleweight division.

“Canelo has even thought of moving up to 168. There are a lot of options. Canelo wants to fight the best. He’s even willing to go up to 168, whatever it takes,” he said.

It remains to be seen if a move to 168 would happen for real as it would be interesting to see Canelo fight guys like 6’3” Callum Smith or 6’2½ Gilberto Ramirez or 6’2” David Benavidez.

 

 

 

 

About the Author



Pin It
TSM Plug