Caroline Wozniacki claims she was verbally abused, threatened by fans at Miami Open

by Ajit Singh Khanna | Posted on Sunday, March 25th, 2018 | 0

World No. 2 Caroline Wozniacki has claimed she and her family were verbally abused and threatened by fans during her Miami Open loss to Monica Puig.

Wozniacki, who won her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open this year, won the first set 6-0 before a dramatic collapse saw her lose the next two sets 6-4 6-4.

In a lengthy statement on Instagram, the Dane wrote: “I am fully aware that tennis is a game of wins and losses.

“However, during the match last night people in the crowd threatened my family, wished death threats on my mom and dad, called me names that I can’t repeat here and told my fiance’s niece and nephew (who are 10 years old) to sit down and shut… up.

She also alleged the despite the ruckus being created from the stands, the security took no action.

“Meanwhile security and staff did nothing to prevent this and even accepted this to take place.

“When certain lines are crossed, it makes tennis miserable for both competitors.

“I hope the Miami Open chooses to take this seriously because it’s a horrible example to set for the next generation of tennis players and fans.”

Miami tournament director James Blake, however, shrugged off the controversy, saying that no such incident was notified to them.

“During the match we had tournament and WTA staff as well as tournament security courtside,” said Blake, a former tennis player himself.

“They never witnessed, nor were they notified of any specific threats made to the players or their families.

“If we had been notified, the situation would have been handled immediately. [The match] was played in front of a loud and passionate crowd.

“While I personally feel that no one should have to endure any sort of abuse on the court, we do our best to provide a safe and fair environment.”

 

 

About the Author


TSM Plug